March sure was a very weird month for all us, not just readers and bloggers. We all deal with the current situation in different ways; some of us (like Charlotte) used the lockdown to read a ridiculous amount of books, others (like me) found it kinda difficult to actually do anything productive at all. Whatever was the case for you, if you’re looking for some recs, here’s all the LGBT media we managed to consume last month!
What we read
The Midnight Lie by Marie Rutkoski (poc lesbian mc, lesbian li, wlw & mlm side characters) – 5 🌈 (tw physical & emotional abuse)
The Henna Wars by Adiba Jaigirdar (Bengali Muslim lesbian mc, Afro-Brazilian Irish bi li, Bengali side characters, Korean side character) – 3 🌈 [review to come]
The Lost Future of Pepperharrow by Natasha Pulley (gay mc, mlm Japanese li, Japanese characters & setting) – 5 🌈
Drowned Country by Emily Tesh (gay mc & li) – 4 🌈 [review to come]
🔥 Only Mostly Devastated by Sophie Gonzales (gay mc, bi Venezuelan li, bi side character, plus-sized poc side character, poc side characters) – 4 🌈 [review] (tw cancer, off-page death, homophobia, biphobia, fatphobia)
🔥 Superior by Jessica Lack (bi half-Japanese mc, mlm li) – 3 🌈
Beneath the Citadel by Destiny Soria (poc bi mc, mlm mc, poc ace mc, poc characters) – 3 🌈 (tw death, violence)
The Afterward by E.K. Johnston (Black bi mc, poc lesbian mc, poc side characters, trans side character) – 2 🌈
Queen of Coin and Whispers by Helen Corcoran (lesbian mc, poc lesbian mc, lesbian, gay & bi side characters, poc side characters) – 3 🌈 [review to come]
Girl, Serpent, Thorn by Melissa Bashardoust (Persian cast & settings, bi mc, sapphic li) – 4 🌈 [review to come]
Finna by Nino Cipri (bi/pan mc with depression and anxiety, Guaian American nonbinary li, poc side characters) – 2.5 🌈 [review to come]
Enter the Aardvark by Jessica Anthony (gay mcs) – 4 🌈 [review]
The Order of the Pure Moon Reflected in Water by Zen Cho (nonbinary mc) – 4 🌈 [review to come]
The Gravity of Us by Phil Stamper (mlm mc, Black mlm li with depression) – 2.5 🌈 [review]
The Magnificent Sons by Justin Myers (bi mc, gay & trans side characters) – 4 🌈 [review]
Panic Signs by Cristina Peri Rossi (sapphic poet) – 3 🌈
Firewatching by Russ Thomas (gay mc) – 4 🌈
When You Get the Chance by Tom Ryan & Robin Stevenson (gay mc, wlw mc, nonbinary li) – 3 🌈 [review]
Drowned Country by Emily Tesh (gay mcs) – 4 🌈 [review to come]
Night Owls and Summer Skies by Rebecca Sullivan (lesbian mc, wlw li) – 2 🌈 [review to come]
My Lord, Lady, and Gentleman by Nicola Davidson (bi mcs, polyamory) – 3 🌈
If We Were Us by K. L. Walther (gay mc & li) – 1 🌈 [review]
My Lady’s Lover by Nicola Davidson (lesbian mcs) – 3 🌈
Death of a Mermaid by Lesley Thomson (lesbian mc) – 1.5 🌈 [review to come]
Fragile Remedy by Maria Ingrande Mora (gay mc & li) – 4 🌈 [review to come]
The Animals at Lockwood Manor by Jane Healey (wlw mcs) – 4 🌈
In Midnight’s Silence by T. Frohock (mlm mc) – 2 🌈
The Devil’s Blade by Mark Alder (bi mc, nonbinary side character) – 3 🌈 [review to come]
Girl, Serpent, Thorn by Melissa Bashardoust (bi mc) – 5 🌈 [review to come]
The Intoxicating Mr. Lavelle by Neil Blackmore (gay mc & li) – 3 🌈 [review to come]
You’re Next by Kylie Schachte (bi mc) – 3 🌈 [review to come]
What we watched
9-1-1: Lone Star (S1) cr. Brad Falchuk, Tim Minnear, Ryan Murphy (Black trans mc, gay mc, Latino gay mc) – 3.5 🌈
Portrait of a Lady on Fire (2019) dir. Céline Sciamma (lesbian mcs) – 3.5 🌈
McDonald & Dodds (ep 1) cr. Robert Murphy (lesbian characters) – 3 🌈
Mary Queen of Scots, dir. Josie Rourke (side mlm character, side poc genderfluid mlm character) – 3.5 🌈
On the blog
- Interviews with Kathleen Jowitt and Valentine Wheeler.
- Rec lists for Anna’s favourite songs of October 2019 and November 2019, and mysteries.
- Releases of bi books from January to June and books by UK- and Irish-based authors.
- Our April read for the book club.
- Five reasons you should read Queen of Coin and Whispers.
- All of April’s releases.
- And our reviews of The Stars and the Blackness Between Them.
On other blogs
- Lauren @ Love Yo Shelf interviewed Sophie Gonzales.
- Zeenah @ Stitch’s Media Mix and Alex @ Punk-Ass Book Jockey both wrote thought-provoking pieces regarding the role of history in K. M. Szpara’s Docile.
- Dahlia @ LGBTQReads revealed the cover for The Camino Club, featured a guest post by Adan Jerreat-Poole, and posted an exclusive excerpt of Late to the Party.
- Cam @ Camillea Reads reviewed Witches of Ash and Ruin.
- Lili @ Utopia State of Mind reviewed Steel Crow Saga and The Library of the Unwritten.
- Delph @ Delph Reads interviewed Clarissa Goenawan.
So, how was March for you? Did you read or watch anything great?