November was a less busy month on the blog, after the hecticness that was October (and is going to be December too…), but we still posted a fair bit, and, on a whim, started our own LGBT lit choice awards (which may or may not continue next year).
And I (Charlotte) for once watched more things than Anna did (please note this down because it’ll never happen again).
So, here’s our wrapup! As ever, the fire emoji indicates a reread/rewatch.
What we read
Monster of the Week by F.T. Lukens (bi mc with anxiety, Latino gay li, wlw side character) – 4 🌈 [review]
The Shape of My Name by Nino Cipri (trans mc, side wlw couple) – 3 🌈 [review to come]
🔥 Crush by Richard Siken (poetry; gay author) – 5 🌈
Feed by Tommy Pico (poetry; Native American gay author) – 4 🌈
The Will to Change by Adrienne Rich (poetry; lesbian author) – 3 🌈
🔥 War of the Foxes by Richard Siken (poetry; gay author) – 5 🌈
The Shape of My Name by Nino Cipri (trans mc) – 4 🌈 [review to come]
Sky and Dew by Holly Heisey (nonbinary side character) – 2.5 🌈 [review to come]
The Stories You Tell by Kristen Lepionka (bi mc, Black gay side character) – 4 🌈
The Unspoken Name by A. K. Larkwood (lesbian mcs, gay mc, bi side character) – 5 🌈 [review to come]
A Convenient Marriage by Jeevani Charika (Sri Lankan gay mc) – 2 🌈 [review]
Room at the Inn by Drew Marvin Frayne (gay mcs) – 2.5 🌈
The Raven Tower by Ann Leckie (bi trans mc) – 3 🌈
The Monster Baru Cormorant by Seth Dickinson (lesbian mc, bi, nonbinary & gay side characters) – 4.5 🌈 [review]
Chulito by Charles Rice González (Puerto Rican gay mc) – 3 🌈
We Were Promised Spotlights by Lindsay Sproul (lesbian mc) – 1 🌈 [review to come]
The Fractal Prince by Hannu Rajaniemi (lesbian mc) – 4 🌈
Mangos and Mistletoe by Adriana Herrera (Dominican lesbian mcs) – 3 🌈 [review to come]
Home in a Snowstorm by Ava Kelly (Chinese American gay mc, gay li) – 3 🌈
Dala Horse Inn by Ellen Jenkins (lesbian mcs) – 4 🌈
Carolyn for Christmas by Lucy Carey (lesbian mcs) – 2.5 🌈
Handmade Holidays by Nathan Burgoine (gay mc, Japanese American gay li, trans side character, wlw side characters) – 3 🌈
Sing for the Coming of the Longest Night by Iona Datt Sharma & Katherine Fabian (Hindu bi mc, genderqueer mc, bi side character, genderqueer side characters, wlw side character) – 4.5 🌈
Stone and Shell by Lloyd A. Meeker (gay side characters) – 2.5 🌈
A Christmas for Oscar by Alex Whitehall (gay mcs) – 2 🌈
What we watched
9-1-1 (S3) dir. Brad Falchuk, Tim Minnear, Ryan Murphy (Black lesbian mcs, Black gay side character)
Agatha and the Truth of Murder dir. Terry Loane (lesbian character) – 3.5 🌈
Sisak dir. Faraz Arif Ansari (Indian mlm mcs) – 4 🌈
WTFock (S3) dir. Tom Goris (gay mc)
Skam España (S2) dir. Begoña Álvarez Rojas (bi mc) – 4.5 🌈
On the blog
- Interviews with Adrienne Tooley and Anna Veriani.
- Rec lists for f/f YA contemporary, Anna’s favourite songs of February and March, and classics.
- The review of our October read, The Disasters by M. K. England.
- Our December book reveal for the book club.
- All of December’s book releases!
- A discussion post about the presence of LGBT books in the Goodreads Choice Awards. (P.S. there is still time to vote in our alternative awards! Voting closes on 9th December.)
On other blogs
- Dahlia @ LGBTQ Reads revealed covers for The Friend Scheme, Cinderella is Dead, Trans-Galactic Bike Ride,
- Mahana @ Sapphic Library wrote great reviews of some 2020 releases, Girl, Serpent, Thorn and Witches of Ash and Ruin.
- Kate @ Your Tita Kate reviewed one of my faves, A Prince on Paper.
- Amy @ Bookish Heights wrote an excellent review of The Starless Sea.
- Jess @ Crowing About Books reviewed Tell Me How You Really Feel.
- Elise @ the bookish actress wrote an amazing review of one of our favourites, Red, White & Royal Blue.
- Lauren @ YABookers reviewed Crier’s War.
- Shri @ sunandchai hosted a blog chat with Ethan Aldridge, about his graphic novel, Estranged.
So, how was November for you? Did you read or watch anything truly great?