September was a great reading month for us, by which I mean I managed to read basically as many books as Charlotte! (So what if it was only because she was busy finishing her research project for uni…) But in any case, we both read some great books, so you should definitely pay attention to our lists!
You’ll also notice a fire emoji next to some titles. I figured it might be cool to mark the books we’ve reread.
(As ever, though, Anna beat me at watching things in September.)
What we read
🔥 Crush by Richard Siken (poetry; gay author) – 5 🌈
🔥 How Not to Ask a Boy to Prom by S.J. Goslee (gay mc, bi li, side lesbian character) – 4 🌈
Only Mostly Devastated by Sophie Gonzales (gay mc, bi Latino li, bi side character, plus-sized poc side character, poc side characters) – 4 🌈
By Any Means Necessary by Candice Montgomery (Black gay mc, Afro-Latino bi li, almost all Black side characters) – 4 🌈 [review]
We Are Lost and Found by Helene Dunbar (gay mc & li, gay side characters) – 3 🌈
Cosmoknights by Hannah Templer (sapphic mc, side wlw interracial relationship) – 4 🌈
Out of the Blue by Sophie Cameron (biracial lesbian mc, bi li with a chronic illness) – 4 🌈
The Infinite Noise by Lauren Shippen (mlm mc, gay li with depression) – 2 🌈 [review]
Work for It by Talia Hibbert (gay poc mc with depression & anxiety, mlm mc) – 4 🌈
Orientation by Gregory Ashe (gay mcs) – 3 🌈 [review]
Once Ghosted, Twice Shy by Alyssa Cole (Black lesbian mc, Black bi mc) – 3 🌈
Two Boys Kissing by David Levithan (gay mcs) – 5 🌈
Pisces Hooks Taurus by Anyta Sunday (bi mc, gay li) – 2 🌈
War of the Foxes by Richard Siken (poetry; gay author) – 5 🌈 (and 🔥)
Crier’s War by Nina Varela (lesbian poc mc, bi poc mc, poc cast, side mlm & wlw couples) – 5 🌈 [review & playlist]
Work for It by Talia Hibbert (black gay mc with depression, bi mc) – 4 🌈 (and 🔥)
Meddling Kids by Edgar Cantero (wlw mcs) – 3 🌈
🔥 Red, White and Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston (biracial Latino bi mc, gay li) – 5 🌈 [review]
The Mysteries of Pittsburgh by Michael Chabon (bi mc, gay li) – 3 🌈
🔥 This is How You Lose the Time War by Amal el-Mohtar & Max Gladstone (wlw mcs) – 5 🌈 [review]
The Paragon Hotel by Lyndsay Faye (bi mc?, Native American lesbian side character, black trans lesbian side character) – 3.5 🌈
Hold Me Tight by Jason Schneiderman (poetry; gay author) – 3 🌈
The Last Place You Look by Kristen Lepionka (bi mc) – 4 🌈
The Traitor Baru Cormorant by Seth Dickinson (lesbian mc) – 4.5 🌈
The Silvered Serpents by Roshani Chokshi (Haitian-French mlm mc, Filipino-Spanish bi mc) – 5 🌈 [review]
Master of Restless Shadows by Ginn Hale (gay mcs) – 2 🌈
Orientation by Gregory Ashe (gay mcs) – 3.5 🌈 [review]
What You Want to See by Kristen Lepionka (bi mc, lesbian side character) – 4 🌈
The City Stained Red by Sam Sykes (bi mc) – 3 🌈
What we watched
The Bletchley Circle: San Francisco (eps 1 & 2) dir. Sally Wainwright (bi mc, lesbian mc)
Booksmart, dir. Olivia Wilde (lesbian mc, sapphic side character) – 4 🌈
Before the Fall, dir.Byrum Geisler (gay mcs, gay side characters) – 1 🌈
The Good Place (S3) cr. Michael Schur (bi mc) – 4 🌈
No Good Nick (S1) cr. Keetgi Kogan & David H. Steinberg (gay mc, gay side character) – 3 🌈
Everything Sucks (S1) cr. Ben York Jones & Michael Mohan (lesbian mc, sapphic side character) – 3 🌈
On the blog
- Interviews with Phil Stamper and Ashley Shuttleworth.
- Rec lists for period dramas and f/f fantasy.
- The review of our August read.
- A blog tour for Crier’s War.
- Our October book reveal for the book club.
- The second part of September’s releases and the first part of October’s!
- Plus, we celebrated our one-year anniversary a few days back, with the first of a series of guest posts!
On other blogs
- Silvia @ Silvia Reads Books hosted author Vanshika Prusty to talk about their story in the anthology Keep Faith.
- Kate @ Your Tita Kate wrote a brilliant review of the anthology.
- May @ Forever and Everly reviewed one of our anticipated releases, The Stars and the Blackness Between Them.
- Jess @ Crowing About Books recced a bunch of books with bi characters in celebration of Bi Week.
- Sarah wrote a great review of Pet by Akwaeke Emezi.
- Marie @ Drizzle and Hurricane Books reviewed another anticipated release, By Any Means Necessary.
- Amy @ Bookish Heights highlighted some LGBT books to read if you liked particular cishet ones.
So, what did you read/watch this month?