August seems like it’s lasted forever, to be quite honest (though that may in part be because of my research project, and now the final two weeks are gonna go by like nothing, but okay). We have a lot of things in this post (mostly because I read a lot and Anna watched – comparatively – a lot).
And there were some great posts we saw as well! So, without further ado, here’s our wrap-up!
What we read
How to Be Remy Cameron by Julian Winters (Black gay mc, Korean-American gay li, LGBT & poc side characters) – 3 🌈
Crush by Richard Siken (poetry; gay author) – 5 🌈
Crowded, Vol. 1 by Christopher Sebela (writer), Ro Stein & Ted Brandt (artists) (poc lesbian mc, bi/pan mc) – 4 🌈
Mooncakes by Suzanne Walker (writer) & Wendy Xu (artist) (bi/pan Chinese-American mc using a hearing-aid, non-binary Chinese-American li) – 3 🌈
Love Under Glasse by Kristina Meister (lesbian mc, Mexican lesbian mc) – 3 🌈
A House of Rage and Sorrow by Sangu Mandanna (lesbian side characters, bi side character) – 5 🌈
Fire by Kristin Cashore (bi mc) – 1 🌈
Dragon Pearl by Yoon Ha Lee (nonbinary side character) – 4 🌈
All the Bad Apples by Moïra Fowley-Doyle (lesbian mc, bi side character) – 3.5 🌈
Twisted at the Root by Ellen Hart (lesbian mc) – 2 🌈 [review]
Steel Crow Saga by Paul Krueger (lesbian mc, bi mcs, gay side character, mlm trans side character) – 5 🌈 [review]
The Darkest Bloom by P. M. Freestone (bi mc) – 3.5 🌈
Guarding the Countess by Jess Michaels (bi mcs, polyamory) – 4 🌈 [review]
An Unseen Attraction by K. J. Charles (gay mcs) – 2 🌈
The Heart of the Circle by Keren Landsman (gay mc) – 1 🌈 [review]
Pretty Pretty Boys by Gregory Ashe (gay mc, bi mc) – 3.5 🌈
Transposition by Gregory Ashe (gay mc, bi mc) – 3.5 🌈
Paternity Case by Gregory Ashe (gay mc, bi mc) – 3.5 🌈
Guilt by Association by Gregory Ashe (gay mc, bi mc) – 3.5 🌈
Reasonable Doubt by Gregory Ashe (gay mc, bi mc) – 3.5 🌈
Sing the Four Quarters by Tanya Huff (bi mc, lesbian li) – 4 🌈 [review]
Ocnos by Luis Cernuda (poetry; gay author) – 3.5 🌈
Romancing the Werewolf by Gail Carriger (gay mcs) – 3 🌈
Sunsets and Shades by Erica Lee (lesbian mcs) – 2 🌈
Unprincely by Eden Finley (bi mcs, polyamory) – 3 🌈
Lovestruck by Allie Keane (lesbian mc, bi mc) – 2 🌈
On the Outside by Siera Maley (bi mc, lesbian li) – 3 🌈
200 Hours by Natasha West (lesbian mcs) – 2 🌈
The Plus One by Natasha West (lesbian mcs) – 2.5 🌈
Say You’ll Love Me Again by Kiki Archer (lesbian mc, bi mc) – 3 🌈
Lock & West by Alexander C. Eberhart (gay mcs) – 4 🌈
Lie With Me by Philippe Besson (gay mc) – 4 🌈 [review]
The Hate You Drink by N. R. Walker (gay mcs) – 3 🌈
Criminal Past by Gregory Ashes (gay mc, bi mc) – 3.5 🌈
The Songbird’s Refrain by Jillian Maria (lesbian mc) – 2 🌈 [review]
Lord of Secrets by Breanna Teintze (gay character, bi side character) – 5 🌈
The Fire by May Archer (gay mcs) – 3 🌈
The Gift by May Archer (gay mc, bi mc) – 3 🌈
The Secret by May Archer (gay mc, bi mc) – 3 🌈
Hell and Gone by Tal Bauer (gay mc) – 2.5 🌈
What we watched
Professor Marston and the Wonder Women dir. Angela Robinson (bi/pan mcs, polyam relationship) – 4 🌈
Tell It to the Bees dir. Annabel Jankel (lesbian mc & li) – 2 🌈
Maurice dir. James Ivory (gay mc & li) – 3 🌈
Simon Amstell: Set Free dir. Julia Knowles (gay author) – 3 🌈
The Perfect Wedding dir. Scott Gabriel (gay mcs) – 3 🌈
Rafiki dir. Wanuri Kahiu (Kenyan lesbian mc & li) – 4 🌈
Derry Girls (S1) cr. Lisa McGee (lesbian mc) – 3 🌈
She-Ra and the Princesses of Power (S2) cr. Noelle Stevenson (sapphic side characters, gay side characters) – 4 🌈
Anne with an E (S2) cr. Moira Walley-Beckett (lesbian side character, gay side character) – 3.5 🌈
The Halcyon (S1) cr. Charlotte Jones (gay mc, gay poc li) – 4 🌈
On the blog
- Interviews with Nina Varela & Gabriela Martins
- Rec lists for retellings of mythology, UKYA (and Ireland) and f/f mystery & thrillers.
- An ARC review for The Songbird’s Refrain.
- Our September book reveal for the book club.
- And the first part of September’s book releases!
On other blogs
- Emily @ Moonlight & Moths reviewed Kacen Callender’s Hurricane Girl.
- Shealea @ Shut Up Shealea has had an amazing project running this month called Augvocacy, and you should absolutely go read every post that’s part of it, but we especially loved the one about trans Asian representation.
- Surina @ The Bloggisters gave us a rec list of books to read when you want to read about sapphics and dragons.
- Michelle @ Magical Reads and Sabs @ Vengeance & Starlight both reviewed one of our most anticipated, There Will Come A Darkness.
- Lily @ Sprinkles of Dreams hosted the cover reveal (and excerpt!) of The Electric Heir.
- Elise @ The Bookish Actress reviewed one of our absolute faves, The Watchmaker of Filigree Street.
- Caitlin @ Caitlin Althea posted a lovely review of Red, White & Royal Blue.
So, what did you read/watch this month?